My adventures, difficulties, successes and experiences living in one of the best cities in the world.
Tuesday, July 5, 2011
New city. New life. New me.
As I was getting closer to graduation in May I had a big decision to make in a short period of time. "What next?" was all that was running through my head. I could stay in Phoenix; a city that I have never had much love for, despite the family and friends there (not to mention my mom was moving anyway). Move to the Seattle area with my mom; but still be outside of the city by an inconvenient amount of time. Or move to the San Francisco area with my dad. While those were my three main options, I also had to keep my sights open to any job opening in any part of the country... because let's be honest, in this economy you can't be too picky. Every day I had to consider my options: what is best for me, where will I be happiest, where will I thrive? With each of those questions the same answer kept coming up. San Francisco. Ever since I was little, I have been visiting this city a few times a year and each time, my love for the city grew. There hasn't been one time where I've looked out at the city and not fallen more in love with it. There is something so special about the city that is incomparable to anything I've ever experienced. From the people, to the culture, the uniqueness, the history, the rush, the constant noise and the love that everybody has for the city for their own different reasons, I knew that one day I would end up in this city. Whether it was now or a few years down the road when I wasn't happy anywhere else, San Francisco is my true home. Each time I look out at the city it brings a smile to face, a pep in my step and joy to my heart. Despite what people have said to try to convince me to stay and not move away, I know that I would be unhappy anywhere else. Sure it might have been easier to find a job in another city where I had more connections, yeah it would have been MUCH cheaper in other cities, ok I don't know many people here and yes, I would have to start everything new from scratch, but until you find the same love for a place that I have for San Francisco, you will never understand why I needed to do this. The people who truly love and care for me have been supportive and helpful through the process and it has opened my eyes to what separates a true friend from a good acquaintance. Nothing is certain in life and you have to take the hits as life throws them at you. No I don't have a job yet. Yes I am trying and looking every day. No it's not easy. Yes it's what I want. No I'm not doing what I love. But I am where I love. Leaving behind family, friends and Benjamin has been hard, but their support it keeping me strong through this life changing adventure. Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. I am home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment